Friday, April 27, 2012

Returning to Blog Land with Doubly Good News!

I don't know why I can't get back into the habit of blogging..... But I'm feeling inspired this morning, so I thought I'd start a post to get things going again!

Lots has been going on since February..... and maybe one day I'll find the time to do some catch up posts, but for now, let's get the big news out there and blog-i-fied so that a few years from now, I will have the details recorded!

The Armes Family is expanding!  We are expecting -- and in a big way!  We will be welcoming TWINS somewhere around October 2012! 



But let's back up a bit, shall we?  James and I have been trying for baby # 2 for quite some time --- as in, since shortly after Robert's SECOND birthday (he will be 4 in just 2 months).  We were frustrated, tired of the monthly 'trying' schedule, and were starting to lose hope.  We had been to a fertility specialist and had finally decided that even though they could find nothing "wrong" with either of us, things just weren't going to happen without a little help.  So, in January, I scheduled my first I.U.I. (intrauterine insemination).  We were waiting on the next cycle to begin, and we were going to move forward.  The day that the cycle was set to begin, I was sitting on the couch with Robert and had a passing thought, "Hey, maybe I should take a pregnancy test?"

After months and months and months of negative pregnancy tests, I was reluctant to disappoint myself again.  But something in my gut said, "GO TAKE THE TEST."  So, I got up and took a test.  And what do ya know?  There was a REALLY faint positive line.  I immediately took the test to James, and we entered into a conversation kind of like this....

James:  You're pregnant?
Me:  I think I could be!  But the line is really really light.
James:  You're pregnant?
Me:  I'm not sure!  Maybe?
James:  We need another test!
Me:  I agree!

So the next day, we tested.  Another faint line.  And the next day, we tested.  Another faint line.  Then, I waited 2 days and bought one of those fancy "digital" home tests, which clearly stated, "YES +."  Still, we doubted. 




I called my OB's nurse and asked if something could be wrong with the tests..... She snickered and said that there is a slight possibility that one test could result in a faint line that goes away later, but that FOUR tests probably indicated that we were pregnant!  I tell people that due to the impending expenses of fertility treatments, we really did score at the buzzer!  Ha!

So, I made my first doctor's appointment, and waited.  And waited.  And waited.  Then the doctor's office called because they needed to reschedule the appointment until the FOLLOWING week.  Let's just say that by the time the appointment rolled around, I had worked myself into a nervous tizzy.

I had called the nurse and asked if James should accompany me (would there be an ultrasound or a heartbeat to hear?), but she informed me that at 9 1/2 weeks, my doctor generally did not order an ultrasound (unless something was wrong), and he generally did not look for the heartbeat, as it was often to early to hear.  So, James decided to keep his scheduled meeting, and I went alone.

When I met with Dr. Smallwood, he was almost as excited as I was to finally be pregnant!  He answered a bunch of my questions (especially my concerns about being an old lady - 35 - when the baby arrived), and then asked if there was anything else I wanted to ask.  I told him that I didn't know if it was because we had waited SO long to get pregnant or because of some other reason, but I was having some major anxiety about this pregnancy and needed to know that all was well.  So, sweet Dr. Smallwood broke out the doppler and explained that he would try for a heartbeat, and if he didn't find one (which he expected he would not), he would order an ultrasound.  I almost jumped off the table and hugged him right then and there.  Anyway, he worked and worked and worked that doppler, and after a long wait, I heard one of the most beautiful sounds of pregnancy.  Baby's heartbeat was nice and strong, and Dr. Smallwood encouraged me that this meant all looked extremely well.

At 12 weeks, we decided to undergo a NT scan to screen for genetic abnormalities.  This screening involves some bloodwork plus an ultrasound.  James and I arrived on time on Wednesday (4/11/12) for our appointment, and our sweet tech took us back to the room. 

She started the ultrasound, and the following conversation ensued:

Tech:  So, you said this is your first ultrasound, right?
Me:  Yes.
Tech:  Have you been feeling more sick this pregnancy than with your last one?
Me:  No, why?  What's wrong?
Tech:  [funny grin]
Me:  There's two?
Tech:  There's two!
James:  Oh my God!  Are you serious?
Tech:  They both look great and healthy.
James:  Oh my God!  Twins!
Tech:  Laughing.
James:  Oh my God!  I'm so excited!  Oh my God!  How will we afford this?  Oh my God!  Two!  Oh my God!  How will we afford 3 college tuitions?
Kate (to James):  We're going to have to get a van.
James:  I'm not driving a van.

More craziness, laughter, and excitement continued throughout the ultrasound.  As she was finishing up, James looked at me and said, "We're going to have to get a van!" 

As we were leaving, James looked at the office receptionist and said, "We're having twins!"  She responded, "Yes, I know!  We could hear you all the way up here!!"



We enjoyed sharing the news with our family, who were all both shocked and excited.  I called my sister first, and literally laughed hysterically when I was telling her.  It just sounded so strange coming out of my mouth!  Then, thanks to the magic of 3-way calling, we called my mom.  And then finally added my dad to the conversation.  That evening, Jenny sent an email documenting the experience....

We called Mom and Dad on a 4-way call today, and they made the following comments at some point during the conversation:


Mom:
You are kidding.
That is impossible.
Kate.
You are making that up.
You go back there and tell that doctor that your mother said this is not possible!!!!!
Kate, I've never gotten news like this in my life!
I've never known anyone that had twins!
What happened to the almond!?!? To the lime!?!?
Go back there, Kate! They are wrong!
Oh my God!
How did this happen?

Dad:
...you're having twins (before Kate can even tell him).
Um, well, all I can tell you is congratulations, and I need to explain to you about a tubal ligation.
So much for all of those hand-me-down clothes!
Holy cow!
We know Robert's good at praying, but you might want to tell him to stop. You better hope he doesn't pray for another one after this one!

This was seriously the best conversation that I've ever had.


So, twins it is!  I wanted to share also that when we told Robert he was going to be a big brother, we asked him several times if he wanted a brother or a sister.  And every time, he responded that he wanted a brother AND a sister.   Careful what you ask that kid to pray for!  ;-)

So far, I have really not had much morning sickness to speak of.  I have had some headaches, good ole pregnancy heartburn, and a great deal of fatigue.  I'm attempting to increase my protein intake, which I am finding difficult because I already feel really full after eating small amounts of food.  Cravings so far include carrots with ranch dressing, lots of lemon in my (decaf) iced tea, and for some strange reason, I really like the taste of onions (on burgers, in salads, etc.).

I had another doctor's appointment last week (4/19/12), and again, everything looks wonderful.  My genetic screening results were great, and I got to have another ultrasound and peek at the little guys, who are doing wonderfully.  Two strong heartbeats and two babies measuring right on schedule!

We still can't believe it!   Coming in October.  Armes Family - Party of Five!!!

4 comments:

  1. I love this post! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your story!! It's so fantastically amazing and I'm glad you're blogging again because I really like your blog and am looking forward to watching these two, you, Robert, and James progress. Thank you for sharing it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THIS BLOG POST!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete