Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Live from Washington....

Well, the time has finally come.  I am currently on day 3 of two weeks away from home, away from my hard-working husband, and away from my sweet baby boy!  We had originally hoped that James and Robert could come visit over the weekend, but we have decided against it, as James is mega-bogged down in school commitments.  Plus, I'm not sure it's very fair to Robert to make him separate from his mama for a week, put his mama back in the picture for 2 days, and take her away again.  I think it will be easier on him to just do a full 2 weeks.  Actually, James pointed out that it is LESS than 2 weeks -- 12 days, to be exact.

I have told several people that in reflecting on this trip, I have decided one of the curses of motherhood involves leaving your children.  As mothers, we are stretched to our maximum capacities (and beyond) on a daily basis.  We manage to care for our children, work full time, keep the domestic end of the homelife operating (well, for me, this is up for debate as my house has been SLIGHTLY less than organized over the last few months!), and fulfill other commitments.... sometimes, we think what a joy it would be to just have one afternoon or evening completely to ourselves to recharge and relax.  Suddenly, we get our wish.... and the thought of leaving our young is heartwrenching.

James and Robert are doing fine.  James' mom is in town to help, and my sister has been helping out a ton as well.  D.C. is supposed to get snow tonight, so I'm hoping for a snow day tomorrow - though I have no idea what I'll do if I get snowed into the hotel! 

Here are some pictures from the hotel....

From my window, I can see the Washington monument and the Capitol.  From other parts of the hotel, you can see a lot of Washington's highlights....I apologize for the blurry pics (they were taken through the windows and it was starting to snow) but you get the idea....

The Washington monument....


The Air Force Memorial...


The Pentagon (and Lincoln Memorial in the background)



The snowy Capitol....


and Jefferson.....


You might wonder what my favorite men are doing while I'm gone..... Well, me too!  James has given reports, but not near the in-detail-tell-me-how-many-times-he-pooped-today kind a mother missing her baby needs!  I do know, however, that James does NOT have Robert engaged in the following activities.... all of which were admittedly totally encouraged by his mama....




1 comment:

  1. Is this the first James has seen of these pictures? If so, you got your wish, as I'm quite certain he'll be on the next flight to D.C. to let you have it for encouraging Bobert's feminine side.

    And Bobert didn't poop today, as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete