Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Journey through the New Testament in 2012

Brentwood United Methodist Church, one of the churches in our general area, has issued a challenge to their members in 2012:  to "Step Up" their Christian walks through worshiping, connecting, inviting, giving, and serving.  Part of the Step Up plan involves reading the New Testament together in 2012.  I must admit that James is the daily bible reader of the family (surprise, surprise!), but for me, bible study has recently taken a back seat to things like motherhood, commuting, household duties, and bulletin making.  I have been seeking a doable plan to get myself back on track with bible reading.  And Brentwood's plan, called Project 3:45, is easy enough!  

It basically involves reading one chapter of the New Testament every week day (Monday - Friday), with the weekends reserved for catch up.  It is named Project 3:45 because it is said that on average it takes approximately 3 minutes, 45 seconds to read a chapter of the New Testament.  So this week, James and I jumped on board with the plan.  We will have to read 10 chapters this week to be caught up, but we should be on schedule with the plan by week's end.  On Sunday, I invited our churches to join us in this journey.  I thought I would throw it out there to you as well, in case you have any interest.  Details on the plan (including a printable schedule of readings) can be found at this link

Also, a former college classmate of mine (and current divinity school classmate of James) is on staff at Brentwood UMC.  He is journeying through this reading plan, and he has been posting some interesting thoughts on the readings on his blog.  You can check out Travis' blog here

We're reading John 5 and 6 at our house tonight.  Hope you will join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment