"A scholar who cherishes the love of comfort is not fit to be deemed a scholar." ~Lao-Tzu
This week was all about leaving our comfort zones! James certainly left his, as he dove head-first into the madness that is divinity school. He began classes last Monday and was immediately inundated with LOTS and LOTS of work. He commented that his life now belonged to Vanderbilt Divinity School! He is managing his work load as best he can and is adjusting to his new studious environment.
Robert and I traveled to Nashville on Wednesday night and stayed through the rest of the weekend. I had a couple of job interviews on Thursday, and we attended the divinity school opening convocation and picnic on Friday afternoon. Saturday, James attended a retreat for the students who have received the Turner scholarship. While he was busy with the retreat, I went to Zumba class with my sister Jenny -- a definite departure from my comfort zone! It was a lot of fun, and I hope to make it a regular routine when we get settled in Nashville.
Sunday, we attended McKendree United Methodist Church, where James will be serving while he is in school. McKendree has two services, a contemporary service at 9 a.m. and a more traditional service at 11 a.m. We arrived in time for Sunday School and planned to attend the 11 o'clock service. However, we ended up sitting in on the last several minutes of the early service. It was really spectacular to see what is going on in this church. As the United Methodist campaign states, this church has definitely begun the process of "rethinking" church. They have taken this downtown church and turned it into a spectacular downtown ministry. They have gained over 30 members in the last 8 weeks -- all thanks to this new minister and the new contemporary worship service.
This is where I will definitely be leaving my comfort zone! I have grown up in a more traditional worship setting and have basically avoided worship settings that do not fit that mold. However, the church as I know it is no longer appealing for a lot of people - but contemporary worship seems to be. Our time at McKendree will definitely help me grow spiritually and learn to appreciate and enjoy new and exciting styles of worship! We are definitely kissing the comfort zone good-bye!
"We cannot become what we want to be by remaining what we are." ~Max Dupree
Welcome to Nashville! Vanderbilt Div. School is great - I know a lot of people who have gone through there/are there.
ReplyDeleteGlad to see McKendree is doing well.
I love Zumba! I recently went to my first class, and loved it. I'm trying to go once a week, just to keep my exercise regime more varied. If you go to a YMCA, maybe I will see you sometime. I mostly go to the East Nashville (Margaret Maddox) one and the Green Hills one.
-Sarah White