Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Alford Curse

Many on my mother's side of the family (the Alfords) are known to have a slight problem remembering people's names.  More specifically, we will often get the first letter correct, but we will (with great confidence) call Jim Josh, or call Tim Tom, or call Ricky Rocko..... My mother does it on a regular basis, and unfortunately, I have inherited the trait! 

For example, one day shortly after James and I started dating, he was working on his car and sent me to AutoZone to get some "heavy duty epoxy."  He asked before I left if I "got it," and I told him I did.  He said, "You'd better write that down."  And I confidently refused.  I drove the five minutes or so to AutoZone and very confidently approached the man behind the counter, where I asked, "Do you have any Heavy Duty Aztec?"  The man looked at me with the most puzzled expression and said that no, they didn't carry any aztec.  In turn, I asked, "Well, do you have any heavy duty ANYTHING that starts with the letter A????"  He really thought I'd lost it..... so I drove back to James' house (can you believe it??? no cell phones way back then!!!) and had to ask again what I was supposed to get....

So last week, the curse struck again.  A coworker randomly asked if any of us remembered the name of the tiger-training duo out of Vegas.  Again, VERY CONFIDENTLY, I replied:  SIGMUND AND FREUD.

Here's hoping that Robert's ability to recall names is inherited from his Daddy and not me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment