Robert's last day at McKendree (his daycare program) was Friday, June 24th. I made it through last week okay until Thursday, when Ms. Cindy (the center director) came to tell me good-bye as I was dropping Robert off. She would not be in on Friday and wanted to bid us well. Immediately, the tears filled up in my eyes. I tried to express my extreme gratefulness for what the program has meant to our family, but the words would not come. I simply said, "Thank you," and had to leave. Friday, I was better prepared and did make it through the good-byes without any tears. That's not to say a few weren't shed in the car on my way to pick him up that afternoon....or while I was wrapping teacher appreciation gifts.....or while I was.... I think you get the point!
Robert is still talking about school like he's expecting to go back at any moment, so I don't think that he really "gets" it yet. Perhaps when he starts his new program in August.... We are addressing the change of programs by telling him that he has gotten "big enough" to go to a new school which has a PLAYGROUND! McKendree is located in the heart of downtown Nashville and has a roof with a great view (as you will see n these pics), but no playground. This is a big selling point that seems to be working for now. Of course, Mama and Daddy have a great deal of anxiety about starting a new program after leaving one so wonderful, but we want to make the transition as anxiety-free as we can for Robert.
Anyway, on to the pictures. I left my camera and FLIP video camera with Robert's teachers, Ms. Jes and Ms. Maggie, on Friday morning and asked them to document Robert's last day. They did an amazing job. I have not been able to upload the Flip videos yet, as a certain seminary student who has a paper due to by noon today has been hogging the home computer all week. ;-) But here are the still shots of Robert's last day.
Morning Gym Time....
A snack on the roof!
Sweet Miss Maggie... (apparently Miss Jes stayed behind the camera as I don't have any shots of her! )
The view.....
The class. I love how Robert (the tallest) is in the middle of the group.
I am in love with these next group shots..... you never know what you'll get when you're photographing a group of 2 and 3 year olds!
More gym time...
Boys will be boys! Robert will really miss his buddy Garrett.... and will apparently also miss tormenting him by pulling his ear???
and his "love," Hayden! Robert was often observed with his arm around this little beauty! ;-)
The classroom loft..... Robert came home with a nice bruise on his elbow one day after he decided it would be fun to JUMP off of here. He is all boy, for sure!
Daddy Daycare officially began at our house on Monday. Robert has spent the last 5 days home with Dad, and we have had 2 skinned knees, our first bike wreck, short naps, and abnormally late bedtimes (due to Vacation Bible School). However, I have also noticed in just 5 days a tremendous male bonding phenomenon already at work. My two guys have enjoyed a special breakfast out (chocolate chip pancakes are a new favorite) and have made a few trips to Lowe's (how manly!) and Walmart, where Robert now has his eyes on a new pair of roller skates! (Sidenote: James has started giving Robert a quarter for small chores around the house (such as feeding the dogs) so that Robert can save enough money to buy his skates. Robert is VERY excited about this prospect!)
Thanks to Daddy Daycare, I am blessed to be able to go into work early and get home at a decent hour. Each evening when I come home, Robert is excited to see me, but is more excited to share with me all of the fun that he had with his dad. I am so grateful that they get to spend this next month together. Here's to a great summer with Daddy!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment