I am reluctant to blog about this, as I try so hard to keep our blog upbeat and positive. However, I vowed to keep this blog as a journal of our life as James enters into ministry, and life is filled with both highs and lows. This last week has been one of the lows.
There is one word in the English language that, when spoken, punches you in the gut. It takes your breath away and changes your life forever in one instant. Unfortunately, in today's world, none of us are strangers to the pain that comes when this word is uttered. This weekend, we heard it again: CANCER.
James' mother Carolyn ("Nanny" to Robert) has been diagnosed with lung cancer. Without going into a great deal of detail, a tumor was found in the bottom of her right lung, blocking 90 percent of one of her bronchial tubes. Preliminary tests have been inconclusive as to whether the cancer has moved beyond her lung.
We spent the weekend in Knoxville, where she is hospitalized. Robert and I returned home on Monday morning, and James has remained vigilant at her side through the week. I had planned to return if surgery was scheduled, but I am currently snowed in at home (as in, couldn't see the road on the way home tonight) and will be unable to make it back to Knoxville in time.
Carolyn is scheduled for surgery at 10:00 eastern time tomorrow morning (Thursday). They will remove the bottom and middle lobes of her right lung (possibly the entire right lung) and will explore the area to determine if they can see if the cancer has reached other parts of her body. We should know after surgery about further treatment such as radiation or chemotherapy.
Those of you who know Carolyn know that she is one tough cookie. She is a fighter, and she is not going to take this cancer lying down!
We would appreciate your prayers tomorrow as she undergoes this major surgery. Please pray for Carolyn's healing. Please pray for the rest of James' family. Please also pray for my dear James, who has spent this week in a hospital room by his mother's side. He has been juggling school assignments and papers (struggling not to fall behind in the midst of this crisis) while at the same time making heartwrenching decisions for his mother and providing emotional support for her. My heart aches for him so, and yet I am so incredibly proud of him this week.
Robert loves his Nanny! (And he thought the hospital bed was pretty cool, too!)
No comments:
Post a Comment