A year ago this month (May 8th), my dear grandmother Maw Maw passed away. She had suffered through a long, slow health decline, and her passing brought sadness, but also a peace over me that I had never experienced. I remember being so grateful that her struggle was over and that she was finally at peace, and the peace that surrounded her radiated into my heart that day like I had never experienced before. I remember visiting her a few short days before she died. She was not responsive, but was peacefully sleeping in her bed, surrounded by her two sons and their families - surrounded by love. The presence of God was in that room that day like I had never felt before... you could literally almost touch it. He definitely did reach out and touch us. Even my almost two-year-old little boy was overcome by the peace and love of God in that moment. Peace.
Five years ago today, my sweet grandmother Agoo walked through the doorway leaving the "room" of earth and entered the "room" of heaven. She once said that dying was simply walking from one room into another, and her method of making that walk was full of more grace than anyone I have ever known. In her life on earth, she was a woman full of grace, and her capacity to show love toward others was nothing short of intoxicating. Agoo's grace spread like wildfire into the hearts of those around her, including me. Grace.
Both of these women are sorely missed every day, no matter how much time has passed. And yet, they are still here with us in so many ways. I feel the joy that Maw Maw would have playing a game on the floor with my child... I can hear her laughter. And oh, how Agoo would love to participate in one of Robert's marching bands! I can literally see them marching together. Perhaps most strongly, though, I feel their presence when I think about peace, and grace, and love. How lucky I am to have grown up with grandmothers who exuded such wonderful qualities so strongly and who taught me so much about how to live life. Indeed, I am blessed to have known them and to live a life in which their legacy lives on each and every day.
Well, dangit, you made me cry with this one. I'm still lucky enough to have both of my grandmothers, but one is having some serious health issues right now (as is my grandfather). She is very much like your description of your grandmothers.
ReplyDelete