Adjusting to our new home in Kentucky (and the commuting that comes with it) has been a challenge. Gone are the 8.5 hour workdays (8 hours of work and a 15 minute commute each way). Now, on the days I take Robert to daycare, I leave home at 6:45 in the morning and often don't arrive back until at least 6:45 at night. That schedule involves a lot of time management. Our evenings at home are spent spending some time with Robert, getting him fed/bathed/down for the night, and then doing all the things necessary to get ready to do it all over again the next morning. Needless to say, it has been an adjustment.
This past weekend, a dear friend from our beloved Lester's Chapel UMC in Jackson lost her battle with cancer. We have been heartbroken over the loss and have ached to be in Jackson with that church family during this time of pain and grief. That, coupled with the demands of our new schedule, has put me in a funk this week.
Tuesday and Thursday mornings, James brings Robert in to Nashville, so I leave about 5:30 to get to work early. This Tuesday, I was driving in, thinking of our friend Sheila and her family, and was generally feeling in the dumps. I began thinking of how this commute is really taking it out of me right now..... and took this picture --- the commute really feels like this pictures sometimes (one big blur of traffic)....
But, immediately after taking that shot, I looked over to the East and saw God's beautiful start to the day....
And immediately, I was overcome with a sense of peace and appreciation, for I have much to be grateful for. I was able to drive down that highway early on Tuesday morning. I would be able to work at a good job and then go home to the loves of my life that evening.....
Dear God, Thanks for the attitude adjustment. I needed that!
No comments:
Post a Comment