My mother emailed this pictures to me today. A friend of hers in Jackson (Tennessee), who also has roots in Greenwood, Mississippi, emailed them to her.
In 1962, my grandfather finished a huge project, one that had taken him over 5 years. He built a 30 foot sailboat named the Mandala. After he finished it, he launched the boat in the Yazoo River (just across the street from their home on River Road), and the family (all 6 of them, bless their hearts) sailed the boat down the river and eventually into the Gulf of Mexico. I love that the article notes that patients often visited him on the levy while he was building the boat, and that one person remarked that he had received many a prescription from Dr. Alford written on sandpaper rather than paper! Precious, precious memories!


This is AWESOME! I wish I could build a boat!
ReplyDelete